Are Grapes and Raisins Toxic To Pets?

If you’ve thought about feeding your dog or cat a grape or raisin, don’t do it! Grapes and raisins are actually toxic to our furry friends. These delicious fruits can poison and even cause death in the most severe cases. In this article, a local vet discusses grape and raisin poisoning in pets. 

Why are grapes and raisins poisonous?

It isn’t known exactly why grapes and raisins are toxic to pets. Some experts say that mycotoxin, a fungal byproduct, is responsible. Others believe that pesticides sprayed on the fruit are to blame. And, to make matters even more confusing, some pets are able to eat grapes and raisins without suffering any negative effects. Even if we don’t know the cause, we do know that it’s too risky to feed these fruits to pets.

What are the symptoms of poisoning? 

Grape or raisin poisoning signs usually appear within a few hours after your pet eats it. Clinical symptoms include increased thirst, lethargy, vomiting, and diarrhea. If your pet doesn’t receive treatment, kidney failure, or renal failure, can occur. Always keep your vet’s phone number available to call in the event of an emergency. Bring your pet to your veterinarian’s office immediately if you know or suspect that he’s eaten grapes or raisins. 

What’s the treatment? 

Treatment involves getting rid of the toxin in your pet’s system as soon as possible. This may be accomplished by inducing vomiting, or giving him activated charcoal to absorb the remaining toxin in his stomach. Intravenous fluid therapy or even blood transfusions in the most serious cases may need to be administered to pets that have progressed to kidney failure. 

How do I prevent grape and raisin poisoning? 

Prevention is the best way of dealing with grape or raisin poisoning in pets. You can do this by restricting your pet’s access to these foods at all times. Keep grapes and raisins in the refrigerator, or closed cabinets or containers, and out of your pet’s can’t reach. Watch out for foods that contain grapes or raisins, like salads or desserts.

Would you like more advice on foods your pet shouldn’t eat? Contact your local veterinarian’s office today!

Visit Us On Facebook